As of May 4 2007 the scripts will autodetect your timezone settings. Nothing here has to be changed, but there are a few things

Please follow this blog

Search this blog

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Helpful people

Yesterday evening I ran out of ideas on how to implement something in GAP. Intuitively I knew it was possible. Within my understanding of mathematics, anything must bepossible with GAP, I mean GAP is used by professional researchers who speak GAP. Today, when I took a short break at work, I posted my question in the GAP forum. I immediately received two replies and that happened before. There is always someone who helps you out. Somehow that means a lot to me, it's why I believe in the future despite the tremendous problems we have in our world.

Dear Nilo,
You have a ring R, and you want to treat it as a group. This group is
written additively in GAP; so you must convert it to a multiplicative
group first.

Here is a simple example of what you (probably) want to do. Hope it helps:

gap> r := GroupRing(GF(2),SymmetricGroup(3));

gap> rplus := Group(List(Basis(r),AdditiveElementAsMultiplicativeElement));

gap> StructureDescription(rplus);
"C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2 x C2"
--
Laurent Bartholdi \ laurent.bartholdi*****com
EPFL SB SMA IMB MAD \ Téléphone: +41 21-*******
Station 8 \ Secrétaire: +41 21-*******
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland \ Fax: +41 21-*******


Thanks again Mr. Bartholdi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Welcome to The Bridge

Mathematics: is it the fabric of MEST?
This is my voyage
My continuous mission
To uncover hidden structures
To create new theorems and proofs
To boldly go where no man has gone before




(Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion, colloquially aka Raumpatrouille Orion was the first German science fiction television series. Its seven episodes were broadcast by ARD beginning September 17, 1966. The series has since acquired cult status in Germany. Broadcast six years before Star Trek first aired in West Germany (in 1972), it became a huge success.)