John Horton Conway (26 December 1937 - ) is a prolific mathematician who contributed to many branches of mathematics. He is the inventor of the cellular automaton "Game of Life". He is currently Professor at Princeton University. He added yet another set of names to the Frieze Patterns. Since they are not mentioned in the M336 course booklet I suppose the names weren't adopted widely enough.
Conway proposed the following names for the seven frieze patterns:
- Hop for p111, translational ( only ).
- Sidle for pm11, vertical.
- Jump for p1m1, horizontal.
- Step for p1a1, glide.
- Spinning hop for p112 rotational.
- Spinning jump for pmm2 horizontal and vertical.
- Spinning sidle for pma2 vertical glide.
|Click to enlarge|