As of May 4 2007 the scripts will autodetect your timezone settings. Nothing here has to be changed, but there are a few things

Please follow this blog

Search this blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mathematics Subject Classification 2000

Over the years I collected a lot of (e-)books on mathematics for which it is my intention to develop a database system made entirely to my requirements and wishes. Key functions of such a system are of course searching and browsing. In order to meaningful browse categories ( and sub-categories ) are required. While thinking about categories for my ebooks database I stumbled upon the Mathematics Subject Classification 2000 ( pdf ). The MSC 2000 is a 69 page pdf document with thousands (!) of categories.

( ( IT ) projects ( which the development of my ebook database in a sense is ) -always- have some sort of problem to solve. I suppose that is why they are called projects. Projects, unlike processes which can be optimized slowly over time, are unique and are done one time only. )

Adopting the MSC 2000 would mean that there would be more categories than books in my system. That wouldn't help browsing a bit. Classifying by the toplevel categories would mean I would have to check the classification in each book and categorize accordingly. Clever programmers would say: "You could write code for that. Yes. But not for all of them. Some books are merely a collection of scan images.

I guess this justifies a list of categories of my own. I could make it in such a way that I could gradually enhance the categories. - ( More thinking to do. )

P.S.
A manager I once had told me that studying is by definition frustrating. Once you have mastered a subject you discover all you mastered is just a tiny introduction to a bigger ( or deeper ) subject. There is no end to it. - I suppose it's not about understanding everything it is moving to the boundaries of the field so that you understand how the field is developing by reading the journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Welcome to The Bridge

Mathematics: is it the fabric of MEST?
This is my voyage
My continuous mission
To uncover hidden structures
To create new theorems and proofs
To boldly go where no man has gone before




(Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion, colloquially aka Raumpatrouille Orion was the first German science fiction television series. Its seven episodes were broadcast by ARD beginning September 17, 1966. The series has since acquired cult status in Germany. Broadcast six years before Star Trek first aired in West Germany (in 1972), it became a huge success.)