As of May 4 2007 the scripts will autodetect your timezone settings. Nothing here has to be changed, but there are a few things

Please follow this blog

Search this blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Study plan for 2011 is shaping up

The Study Plan for 2011 is shaping up.

With M336 Group Theory forthcoming in 2012 I will keep my Abstract Algebra 'warm' by reading:
- Goodman; Algebra Abstract and Concrete. ( Free e-book );
- Rose, Harvey E; A Course on Finite Groups;
- Cox, David; Galois Theory;

I will probably have some difficulty ( 'uneasyness', if you like ) studying MST209 because the materials will not be presented in mathematical but in scientific format. Since I am not very good at long reading sessions ( I get distracted too easily ) I prefer the Theorem / Proof / Example presentation because it leaves a lot to the reader, i.e.: read a bit, then DO a lot. Mathematica experiments for example. For that purpose I selected the books
- Kelley, Peterson; The Theory of Differential Equations - Classical and Qualitative. From the preface: "...Previous experience with differential equations is helpful but not required. Consequently, this book can be used either for a second course in ordinary differential equations or as an introductory course for well-prepared students. ...)", and
- Differential Equations DeMystified as an antidote to the previous book and as a guide to the HOW-TO's of solving DE's.

Top priority will of course have MST209 because it adds 60 points to my balance. I'll have to decide if I want and / or can add either M337 Complex Analysis or M381 Number Theory to the workload.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Welcome to The Bridge

Mathematics: is it the fabric of MEST?
This is my voyage
My continuous mission
To uncover hidden structures
To create new theorems and proofs
To boldly go where no man has gone before




(Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion, colloquially aka Raumpatrouille Orion was the first German science fiction television series. Its seven episodes were broadcast by ARD beginning September 17, 1966. The series has since acquired cult status in Germany. Broadcast six years before Star Trek first aired in West Germany (in 1972), it became a huge success.)